We are searching data for your request:
Alcohol poisoning at Munich Oktoberfest: Shortly after the start of the Oktoberfest, the first "beer corpse"
The first patient with alcohol poisoning had already reached the medical center one and a half hours after the start of the Oktoberfest in Munich. In previous years, patients came even earlier.
After an hour and a half of alcohol poisoning, the 180th Munich Oktoberfest was opened on Saturday. Around 1:30 p.m., around one and a half hours after the start of the festival, a young woman with alcohol poisoning was already brought by her boyfriend to the helpers of the Munich Red Cross in the Oktoberfest medical center. The station manager, Frithjof Wagner, explained that the woman had only drunk a single measure (one liter) of beer. However, he warned: "The Oktoberfest beer has a higher alcohol content than the usual bottled beer." And further: "The effect unfolds above all when you have nothing in your stomach, at higher temperatures and with hasty enjoyment, much faster than usual."
Beer corpses before the start In previous years there were such "beer corpses", as the alcohol victims are also known colloquially, often hours before the Munich Festival opened. Beer is only sold after the tapping at 12 noon, but many visitors would already "glow". An older Oktoberfest visitor was brought to the hospital for cardiac arrhythmias before the start this morning.
Alcohol is a cell poison Last year, during the Oktoberfest, doctors had to treat 739 visitors for alcohol poisoning. A total of around 8,160 people had to be cared for at the BRK medical center. The director of the Federal Center for Health Education (BzgA), Prof. Dr. Elisabeth Pott, warned years ago that many people are not aware or neglect that "alcohol is a cell poison", which "damages almost all organs in the body and can, for example, cause heart muscle and cancer diseases." (Ad)
Image: Manfred Walker / pixelio.de